The new deadline for individual and panel proposals is Monday, March 20th.
College English Association of Ohio
2017 Spring Conference
Xavier University, Cincinnati, Ohio
Saturday, April 22, 2016
Theme: The Mission of English Studies
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Mark Bracher, Kent State
The mission of an organization or institution articulates the values underlying the actions taken by those bodies and serve as guiding principles for choices made and directions taken. What is the mission of the broad field of English studies? Although we come from diverse institutions and specific disciplines, are there guiding principles that drive the work we do and the choices we make?
This conference theme will explore the possibilities of the mission of English studies and ask participants to reflect upon their roles as scholars, educators, and intellectuals in the broader community. What underlying principles drive and direct our work? How do we put these values into play in our day-to-day professional lives? Some possible topics of inquiry include:
- Maintaining values and purpose amidst changes in English majors and minors
- Serving diverse student populations and perspectives in the classroom
- Collaborative work across disciplines and specialties
- Articulating values, visions, and purpose as a discipline
- Balancing solidarity and interdependence with diversity, politically and pedagogically
- Engaging students to promote awareness and change
- Enacting institutional missions and teaching philosophies
- Commitment and intention as pedagogical acts
- Inspiring students to engaged citizenship through learning
- Envisioning the future of English studies
CEAO welcomes proposals for individual 15-20 minute sessions or 60 minute panel sessions from full-time faculty, graduate students, adjunct, and part-time instructors, as well as individuals living/working both inside and outside Ohio. Proposals from faculty and administrators from institutions of all sizes and types—public, private, community—are welcome.
Submission Requirements: Send proposals of no more than 300 words by Monday, March 20, 2017 to email@example.com
Creative writing submissions should include poetry or fiction/nonfiction suitable for a 20 minute reading. All proposals submitted by the deadline will be considered. In addition, include your name, academic rank, institutional affiliation, and a short 100-150 word biography in the email message. Technology (computers, projector, DVD, etc.) will be available for all presentations. Please note if you have a special technology request.
Participants may submit both a critical paper and a creative work, limited to one entry in each category, sent together as separate attachments in the same email.
Presenters must be registered for the conference by the deadline.
To download a copy of this CFP to distribute, click here: ceao-2017-cfp